If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
Is beer good for an upset stomach? It is a question that has baffled beer lovers as well as medical professionals for centuries. Some people believe that beer can help settle an upset stomach, while others think it will only worsen the problem. Which way is the truth?
- Is Beer Good for an Upset Stomach?
- Frequently Asked Questions
Is Beer Good for an Upset Stomach?
Yes, beer is good for an upset stomach since it contains carbohydrates and electrolytes to help settle the stomach. Beer is said to be able to promote the release of gastric juices, which can promote digestion. Additionally, the alcohol content in beer can also act as a sedative, helping to relax the stomach muscles and relieve pain.
Hops, one of the main ingredients in beer, also has stomach-settling properties. Hops are often used as an herbal remedy for indigestion and stomach upsets. For instance, in Germany, a type of beer known as “Kräusen” is often prescribed by doctors to patients suffering from digestive problems. This is because Kräusen contains a high amount of hops, which helps to settle the stomach.
However, it is essential to note that beer should be consumed in moderation since excessive alcohol consumption can aggravate an upset stomach. For instance, if you have a sensitive gut, alcohol can irritate the lining of your stomach, causing inflammation and pain. Also, drinking too much beer can lead to dehydration, further contributing to stomach problems.
How Much Beer Should You Drink to Relieve Stomach Problems?
Now that you have learned that beer can help with an upset stomach, you may wonder how much you should drink. According to medical experts, drinking one or two small glasses of beer is safe when you have stomach issues. However, it is essential to drink slowly and avoid drinking on an empty stomach.
Additionally, you should avoid drinking beer if you are vomiting or have diarrhea since this can lead to dehydration. The doctor sometimes recommends consuming electrolyte drinks instead of beer to prevent dehydration. If you must drink beer, make sure to drink plenty of water.
How Does Beer Help Settle Stomach Problems?
There are mechanisms in the beer that help to explain how it is effective in settling an upset stomach. The following are some of how beer can help:
- Isohumulones: Hops contain a type of bitter acid known as isohumulones, which can help to settle the stomach by stimulating the release of gastric juices. Isohumulones are also known to have antibacterial properties, which can help to fight off infections that may be causing upset problems.
- Alcohol: The alcohol content in beer can also relax the stomach muscles and relieve pain. Additionally, alcohol can also act as a sedative, helping you to sleep if you are experiencing stomach problems.
- Carbohydrates: Beer also contains carbohydrates, which can help to settle the stomach by absorbing excess stomach acids. It also helps to replenish electrolytes that may have been lost due to vomiting or diarrhea.
- Folic Acid: Beer is also a good source of folic acid, a water-soluble vitamin that helps the body produce new cells. Folic acid can also help heal a damaged stomach lining, which may cause upset problems.
- B-Vitamins: Beer is also rich in B vitamins, essential for a healthy digestive system. B vitamins help to break down food and produce new blood cells.
When Should You Not Drink Beer to Help With an Upset Stomach?
Even though beer can help with stomach problems, there are certain times when you should avoid drinking it. Not all the time, drinking beer is good for stomach problems; some people may find that it worsens their symptoms. The following are occasions when you should not drink beer:
- If you have a sensitive stomach, beer may irritate your stomach lining and worsen your symptoms.
- If you are vomiting or have diarrhea, beer can lead to dehydration since it is a diuretic.
- If you are taking medications for a stomach problem, such as antacids, it is best to avoid beer since it can interfere with the medications’ efficacy.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, it is best to avoid beer since it can lead to fetal alcohol syndrome or impede milk production. When you have stomach issues and are expectant, kindly ask your doctor for the best course of action.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which Beer Is Good for Stomach Pain?
The beer that is good for the stomach is ginger beer, as it soothes the stomach and also has anti-inflammatory properties. If you are suffering from nausea or other stomach issues, drinking a can of ginger beer may help alleviate your symptoms.
What Is the Healthiest Alcohol?
The healthiest alcohol is red wine because it contains antioxidants that can help protect the body against heart disease and other chronic conditions.
Beer is generally safe to drink when you have stomach issues. However, it is essential to drink slowly and avoid drinking on an empty stomach. Also, ensure to drink plenty of water to prevent dehydration. This way, you can enjoy the benefits of beer without worsening your stomach issues.