If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
While a freezer is not a bad idea to store up beer, it only works best for bottled beer and not draft beer. On the other hand, the best mini kegerator not only helps you store beer but also serves it chilled with the right amount of fizz.
- My Top Mini Kegerator Recommendations
- Features to Consider for Mini Kegerators
- Frequently Asked Questions
My Top Mini Kegerator Recommendations
A mini kegerator offers you similar functions as a full-sized keg or commercial kegerator, minus the bulkiness and the high expense. There are several different mini kegerator options, each with its unique feature and class.
NutriChef Pressurized Growler Tap System
The Nutrichef Pressurized Growler Tap System can work with a disposable CO2 cartridge -not included in the package- that will keep your beer carbonated and fresh for up to two months. This growler keeps your beer at a pressure of 30 psi -higher than that of the Keg Smiths or Bacoeng. Also, it comes with an adjustable pressure regulator which enables you to set the pressure of your beer to your preferred levels.
This mini keg, and all its accessories, are made of 304 stainless steel, ensuring that it does not corrode. It has a clean, sleek, and compact design for easy movement and can hold 128 ounces of beer. To prevent your beer from spilling during transport, it has a screw-on lid, a feature that neither the Keg Smiths nor the Bacoeng kegerators have.
It also has enough insulation to keep beer cool the whole day. A neoprene jacket is included in the package to ensure your beer is cool outside the fridge. It is easy to assemble, as well as to clean.
A major downside is that you cannot force carbonate your beer. This means that you cannot enjoy a carbonated brew at short notice, but would have to wait a long time to get it fully carbonated.
- All parts are made of 304 stainless steel, ensuring its sturdiness and durability.
- It has an easily adjustable pressure regulator, making controls seamless.
- It is easy to set up and easy to use.
- CO2 cartridge is not included, meaning some extra expense.
- It has a heavy top which implies that it can tip over if care is not taken.
- NEVER FLAT CRAFT BEER: A traditional growler will let beer go flat after the first pour. PKBRTP100...
- WORKS W/ DISPOSABLE CO2: Not included - Each cartridge will pump around 128oz of beer before...
- UPGRADED ADJUSTABLE REGULATOR: Monitor the mini keg growler’s current PSI from the regulator gauge...
Keg Smiths Mini Keg Portable Draft System
The Keg Smiths Mini Keg Portable System, like its name connotes, is portable and can contain up to 128 ounces of beer, the same capacity as the Nutrichef. It can force carbonate your beer; all you have to do is set it at 15 psi or more and leave it overnight. It enables you to set the pressure unit that you want via an adjustable pressure regulator.
It can also use either 12-ounce or 16-ounce CO2 cartridges of the threaded kind -not included in the packaging, and one single cartridge can last up to 2 months.
It has a simple design, made out of stainless steel. It is quite tall and might not fit in your fridge, but it has a removable tap system that makes it take up less space. It is very easy to clean up. One final encouraging feature is that, unlike the Nutrichef or Bacoeng, this Keg Smiths mini kegerator can be used for other alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages.
- It has a solid stainless steel design, which guarantees durability compared to plastic and aluminum.
- It has an adjustable pressure regulator which can be used for forced carbonation.
- It can be used for other beverages asides from beer making it a multipurpose piece of equipment.
- It has a removable tap system, allowing for easy storage.
- The regulator system could be a little tricky to handle.
- This kegerator cannot fit into a standard-sized refrigerator.
- 128 OZ Stainless Steel Keg - 8 Pint - Easy Fill Growler
- 304 Stainless Steel CO2 Tap System
- Easy Clean - Easy Fill - Easy Pressure Release Valve
BACOENG 64 oz Pressurized Keg Growler
I picked the Bacoeng 64 oz Pressurized Keg Growler for the best dynamic mini kegerator. It is small, portable, and can contain up to 64 ounces of beer, which is a lower capacity than the Nutrichef and Keg Smiths. It makes use of a ⅜ inch threaded CO2 cartridge -not included in the package and, thanks to its pressure unit, guarantees that you can enjoy fresh beer for up to two months.
It has a dual-stage regulator and a precise gauge that enables you to monitor and adjust the pressure. Also, it uses 35% less CO2 than other products, thereby helping your cartridge last longer.
The pour regulator system of this beer helps stabilize beer flow to avoid splashing during pours. Also, you can easily detach its regulator, spout, and faucet. Just like the NutriChef, every part of it is made from 304 stainless steel, ensuring a long-lasting and sturdy unit. Finally, you can force-carbonate your beer within a week by setting pressure of 10 psi or higher.
A major downside to this kegerator is that it may spring a leak early if not properly handled, in other words, you may need to replace it earlier than planned.
- Sturdy 304 stainless steel construction, guaranteeing durability.
- Saves refrigerator space through removable spout and faucet.
- It makes use of 35% less C02 than similar models, making it more efficient.
- It does not come with CO2 cartridges, so you might incur an extra expense.
- The regulator could easily get leaky, implying a possible need to replace early.
- NEVER GO FLAT AGAIN: While traditional growlers will go flat after only a single pour, this mini keg...
- DETACHABLE REGULATOR & SPOUT: The design of growler allows you to detach both the regulator, spout...
- COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT: Capable of holding up to 128oz, the barrel is light enough to carry around...
Features to Consider for Mini Kegerators
There are dozens of notable brands that produce mini kegerators, each coming with its own unique features. Most certainly, you do not want to end up with a product of questionable quality, especially if it is a gift for a friend or family. When purchasing a mini kegerator, here are the most important things to look out for.
|NutriChef Pressurized Growler Tap||Keg Smith Mini Keg Portable System||Bacoeng Pressurized Keg Growler|
|CO2 Cartridge||16-ounce screw or threaded cartridge||12 or 16-ounce screw or threaded cartridge||⅜ inch threaded cartridge|
|Force Carbonation||No||Overnight at 15 PSI or higher||Overnight at 10 PSI or higher|
Size and Capacity
There are two main reasons why mini kegerators are preferable to full-sized kegerators for many people. The first is their size. A mini kegerator is meant to be compact-sized and portable, the kind of thing you can easily carry for an outdoor hangout with friends. That being said, if a mini kegerator is not small enough to be placed in a refrigerator or on a countertop, it defeats its purpose then.
The second is capacity, most kegerators can hold a sufficient amount of beer, offering you convenience and chilled beer. Look out for a mini kegerator that is portable and, at the same time, can hold a sufficient amount of beer for you, such as the NutriChef Pressurized Growler Tap System.
The material used to make a mini-kegerator is vital because it determines its durability and quality. Stainless steel -used in all the products listed above- is the best material for a mini kegerator because it is scratch-resistant and easy to sanitize. Gauging the quality of material used in a model might be a challenge if you are shopping online.
However, reading articles such as this one would enlighten you on the best choices for you.
While shopping for a kegerator, its ability to regulate pressure is a great feature to look out for.
A pressure regulator enables you to control the movement of pressure from the CO2 cartridge and into the beer, hence, letting you serve and consume your beer at your preferred level of carbonation.
Forced carbonation is the act of artificially infusing CO2 into your beer instead of letting it carbonate naturally during fermentation. Since forced carbonation is a much quicker process than natural carbonation and guarantees better results, purchasing a kegerator that can force carbonate saves you time and lets you enjoy your carbonated beer within a short time.
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are answers to some common questions you might have relating to your mini kegerator:
How Do I Get My Mini Kegerator to Chill My Beer?
Different mini kegerators have different ways of cooling beer. Some kegerators work like a vacuum flask, and they would keep their contents chilled for many hours, but you would first have to chill your beer in a refrigerator before transferring it in. Others can go into refrigerators to get chilled, while some have a standalone cooling system.
How Big Should My Mini Kegerator Be?
These factors should determine the size of your mini kegerator:
- How much refrigerator space you can spare regularly -the more the space, the bigger your mini kegerator can be, and vice versa.
- If you are a homebrewer, how much beer you brew at a time -the larger your brew size, the bigger your mini kegerator should be, and vice versa.
- And finally, how much beer you consume -the lesser the quantity, the smaller your mini kegerator should be, and vice versa.
How Often Should I Clean My Kegerator?
It is advisable to clean your kegerator after finishing a keg of beer. However, if it takes you a pretty long time to finish a keg, you could clean your kegerator once every five weeks.
Mini kegerators are not only more convenient but are also more accessible and easier to use than freezers. While purchasing, ensure that whatever kegerator you get meets your drinking needs, in regards to capacity, carbonation, and portability.